- Vendor Name: Phillips 66
- Headquarters: Houston, Texas
- Year Established: 1917
- Area Served: The Midwest and Southern U.S.
In 1917, Phillips 66 began as Phillips Petroleum Company in Bartlesville, Oklahoma. It picked up the name “Phillips 66” in 1927 when the company was testing out its gasoline on Highway 66 and it found out that the car testing it was going 66 miles per hour. Phillips 66 opened its first service station in 1927 in Wichita, Kansas and opened its first station in Texas in 1929. The following year, the company introduced its famous black-and-orange shield logo (which it changed to red, white, and black in 1959).
In 1946, Phillips 66 acquired Wasatch Oil Company and expanded to Oregon and Washington. It continued to grow by buying and rebranding all of the Flying A service stations on the West Coast. It even opened service stations in several western Canadian provinces. In 1967, when Phillips 66 opened a service station in Anchorage, Alaska, it became the second oil company to sell gasoline in all 50 states.
In 1995, the company introduced its own Phillips 66 gas card and in 2000, purchased Tosco. In 2002, the company merged with Conoco to form ConocoPhillips.