820-A Johnnie Dodds Blvd.
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
Mobil began in 1911 as the Standard Oil Company of New York (or Socony) but in 1931, merged with Vacuum Oil to form Socony-Vacuum Oil Company (or Stanvac). With the help of Jersey Standard, Stanvac was able to expand to New Zealand, China, Venezuela, and over 40 other countries before it was dissolved in 1962.
Throughout the 1940s and much of the 1950s, the company was among the most successful motor oil and gasoline providers in the U.S. In Socony-Vacuum was renamed Socony Mobil Oil Company in 1955 and by 1966, "Socony" was removed from the name to become Mobil.
Mobil's popular Speedpass electronic system was introduced in 1997 and allowed customers to automatically activate a pump and charge their Mobil gas card. In 1999, Mobil merged with Exxon Corporation and moved its headquarters from Fairfax County, Virginia to Irving Texas.