3044 Hwy 17N Suite A
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29466
Sunoco was founded in 1886 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (where its headquarters remains today) as The Peoples Natural Gas Company. The company expanded to Ohio and in 1890, became the Sun Oil Company of Ohio. By 1901, however, the name was shortened to Sun Company.
After opening its first station in 1920, Sun Company was changed back to Sun Oil Company and by 1953, had expanded internationally to Canada. In 1968, Sun Oil merged with the Sunray DX Oil Company and began marketing its products under both the Sun Oil and DX brand names. In 1976, the company went back to the Sun Company name and grew even more after it acquired the Texas Pacific Oil Company in 1980.
In 1998, Sun Company officially became Sunoco and by 2003, it bought most of the Coastal Petroleum and Speedway SuperAmerica gas stations located throughout the southeastern U.S. Today, the company has over 4,900 locations and offers their own Sunoco gas card.