- Vendor Name: Amoco
- Headquarters: Chicago, Illinois
- Year Established: 1889
- Area Served: The U.S.
Amoco is one of many fuel vendors that can trace its roots back to the Standard Oil company created by John D. Rockefeller in Ohio in 1889. The Indiana branch of Standard Oil started providing gas to consumers in 1910, when the automobile started gaining popularity. In 1911, when SO was split, Indiana Standard became its own company and opened its first gas service station in 1912 in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
In 1919, Indiana Standard acquired the Dixie Oil Company and in 1925, it acquired almost all of Pan American Petroleum and Transport Company. By 1947, Indiana Standard was the first company to drill off-shore in the Gulf of Mexico. It was ranked the largest domestic oil company in 1952, with 12 refineries and service stations throughout 41 states.
In 1956, Pan American gas stations were rebranded as Amoco (short for American Oil Company, which was partially owned by Pan Am). Indiana Standard began expanding the brand and by 1971, all of its divisions sported the Amoco name. The company officially changed its name to Amoco Corporation in 1985. Thirteen years later, Amoco merged with BP and all gas stations, along with the Amoco gas card were rebranded.